Thursday, May 7, 2009

Outrageous: Visit to a Museum

On Tuesday, to celebrate my companion's last radiation treatment at Dana Farber Hospital in Boston, and his coming through with some of his old energy, we decided to lunch at the Museum of Fine Arts, where we would see the "Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese" exhibition.

We were not prepared for the cost.  Admission for two was $46.00. Since it was an important day, we went to the dining room rather than the cafe, willing to pay the extra price.  The bill was $80.  I drank one glass of wine; we shared a dessert and had no first course.  The food was good but not outstanding.  The view into the courtyard was lovely.  As for the exhibition: works of genius in poorly lit rooms.  I had seen Veronese's "Venus and Mars United by Love" in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, where, properly lit, Venus's pearly skin glowed.  In Boston, it looked dull, though I could make out the drops of milk flowing from Venus's breast--it makes this Mars put down his weapons.

Glad to see the end of hospitals, we did not complain, but when we had to fork up $22.00 for parking--we were there for two hours--my companion said: "Everything costs twice as much as it should."  Add it up: $148.00 for a visit many people could not afford.  Museums should be accessible!   Still, we were happy to see the great paintings.  My companion admired the portraits; I liked the nudes.  For my next visit I will reserve a discount museum pass from my library and skip the lunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment