Monday, May 18, 2009

Brookline Poetry Series

It was clear there was a poetry community in Brookline, Massachusetts: people were talking to each other!  Thanks to Aimee Sands, Susana Roberts and Ann Killough, coordinators of the Sunday afternoon reading series founded eight years ago and based at the Brookline Public Library, there is a vital audience, new comers and regulars.

The tall windows of the room facing Washington Avenue looked out into the trees' fresh new green; the walls were hung with bright paintings by local artists; the paintings will go to The House at Kent Street, which provides accommodations for families whose children are undergoing treatment at Children's Hospital.

Elizabeth Kirschner began with poems from her recent book, "My Life as a Doll."  "Brave poems," someone said.  I followed with poems set in South Beach and here in Massachusetts, then an open mike.  The audience was engaged--everything a reading should be.               

1 comment:

  1. I wish I hadn't been in New York........no, I wish I could have been in two places at once.

    ReplyDelete