Friday, January 8, 2010

Two Suns















This morning I noticed two suns, the one rising over the ocean and the buildings of South Beach, already tinting the clouds with pink and pale yellow, and the sun in Diane Churchill's painting, which was influenced by the landscape and atmosphere of Mojacar in Southern Spain, where I first met her.



















It's warmer today after an unusual cold spell. This is the first time in ten years that we have turned on the heat. No, we did once, to test it. The newspapers published pictures of Florida strawberries encased in ice. Now the temperature is rising.

I've brought home some marvelous books from the Miami Beach Library:

The Writer's Brush: Paintings, Drawings, and Sculpture by Writers
The Places In Between, an account of walking through Afghanistan by Rory Stewart
The Essays of Leonard Michaels
Images of the Holy Mother by Jacqueline Orsini

When I walk into an American public library I feel proud and delighted to be a citizen of our republic.

2 comments:

  1. Thank heavens for libraries. When we first arrived in New Zealand (from South Africa) fifteen years ago, we were thrilled by Dunedin's public library. Back in 1994, they had a loan system that allowed you to take up to fifty items at a time, and to keep the lot for six weeks. This seemed like an impossible extravagance, but with five avid readers in the family, it wasn't hard to fill a crate for the holidays, then read and read and read. Nowadays, things are a little more restrained in the loans dept. I think we're allowed twelve books for three weeks.

    I'll be keeping my eye on the mailbox next week - an Amazon package containing a copy of your 'The Dark Opens' is due to be delivered any day now and I'm looking forward +++ to immersing myself in it.

    I hope your leg is feeling better, Mim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire--yes, my leg is better, and thank you for ordering "The Dark Opens."

    Yours always for poetry, libraries, and connecting,
    Mim

    ReplyDelete