Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wild Vine in Art Deco Land



















The tree strip--in this part of Florida they call it a "swale"--is parched; a hot wind raises dust, yet a volunteer vine zooms across a weedy neglected patch in front of a boarded up building.



















Will you help me identify the vine. Watermelon?















The growing tip has felt its way to chain link. Do you see the tendrils? I wish it would rain. The vine would grow even more. Can you imagine the chain link covered with green?

3 comments:

  1. All courage and kudos to this volunteer vine, Mim.

    I wonder it it might be a courgette/zucchini/squash of sorts?

    L, C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be, Claire. I'm keeping an eye on it. June is usually the rainy month here, but so far almost no rain. "Drought" officially declared.

    Tender greetings from South Beach . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even properly identify things that grow in my own back garden :)

    But send good wishes to the vine, which you have brought to my attention.

    ReplyDelete